Relatives plead for justice five months after murder of 21-year-old

Five months after the murder of 21-year-old Jaleel Leow, his relatives are pleading for justice, noting that efforts to solicit an update from the police have been futile.

Speaking with the Big Smith News Watch on Saturday, a relative who asked to remain anonymous due to fears for her life, said “time is going and my family is just frustrated with what is happening. As well it is something that we don’t want to be forgotten.”

Leow of Dennis Street Campbellville, Georgetown was murdered at about 17:50h on August 02, 2021 at ‘B’ Field Sophia, according to a police report. On August 09, a Wanted Bulletin was issued for 38-year-old John Kennedy, called “Big John” of Lot 751 Field 8, Section ‘B’ Sophia.

According to the relative, Kennedy “is living life as normal” in Sophia but no effort is being made to apprehend him.

The family is mourning the death of their loved one more now, since they are all together this holiday season.

On the day of the incident, Leow, a Mechanic, was at Sophia with a female, Felicia Thomas and two male friends liming on the ‘B’ Field Sophia Access Road in front of the woman’s residence when suddenly the two suspects approached them from a southern direction on bicycles.

The suspects both dismounted and the one who was armed with two cutlasses went up to Thomas and said “Is problem you want”, police said. She responded in the negative and herself and party began to walk away into her yard.

However, according to the relative of Leow, one of the men responded “yes” to the suspects but it is unclear whether this was Leow or another friend.

One of the suspects pulled a handgun from his pants waist and shot Leow which struct him to his right upper back and he fell to the ground. The gunman discharged two more rounds at him on the ground hitting him to his upper chest, police said.

Leow got up and ran to the back of the yard where he collapsed.

The shooter then fired another shot at another friend and fled the scene.

Leow was pronounced dead at the hospital where he was taken by Thomas, while the second person was treated and sent away.