Community ReportCrimeNews

Motorcycle recovered; cattle farmer arrested for Thursday’s execution of rice farmer

The bus that the deceased and his employees used to enter the farm on Thursday night 
By Royan Abrams 

Detectives on the Corentyne Coast in Berbice have begun making headways in their investigations into the execution-style killing of a rice farmer; 48-year-old Parmanand Lakaram on Thursday evening at No. 64 Village, Corentyne Berbice.

Dead:48-year-old Parmanand Lakaram
Big Smith Crime Watch was informed that detectives have recovered a motorcycle which is believed to have been used by the shooter who is now said to be in police custody.
According to police sources, sources, two villagers went into the said backdam in search of their missing cattle when they observed an abandoned motorcycle parked next to a ranch house. They immediately informed relatives and the police who visited the location earlier today and retrieved the motorcycle which was then taken to the Springlands Police Station.
Regional commander for East Berbice Corentyne Calvin Brutus confirmed the development but could not immediately say if the police were able to secure a confession from the cattle farmer who is in custody assisting police ranks with their investigations. “The bike is usually parked with its key in it on the dam” Brutus related
At about 20:30 hours on Thursday, Lakram along with two of his employees were in a bus heading into the back dam to check on a water pump which was at the time pumping water into his rice field.
While on their way they stopped at a location to check on two cows which were missing but were recovered and tied. During the stop, the men heard a motorcycle approaching and Lakram told his employees to hide.
As the motorcycle reached closer, the occupant began to fire shots hitting Lakram several times about the body before escaping. Lakram collapsed in a sitting position next to his vehicle while his employee rushed to his rescue and they were informed who committed the act.
The two men then made their way out of the backdam and alerted family members and the police who visited the location and retried the body. Lakram was rushed to the Skeldon Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Lakram was described as a quiet individual who had no issue with anyone. He has left to mourn his wife, mother and six children.  His two employees are presently in police custody along with the prime suspect assisting with the investigations.