CrimeNews

Four pensioners among several displaced in Peter’s Hall Fire

Thick smoke emanating from the rubble even as fire fighters continue their work at the location

A fire that started at approximately 19:45hrs 28 Azore Street Peter’s Hall, East Bank Demerara and completely flattened one building and gutted another, has left several persons homeless including four elderly women, one of whom was celebrating her birthday.

79 year old Liloutie Persaud, 65 year old Kalawtie Boodram in blue dress who is celebrating her birthday today, 62 year old Omadai Persaud and 60 year old Deocanli Persaud along with other relatives and occupants of the multiple structure compound were left homeless.

The four pensioners who are among the persons displaced by the fire

Although the family of the home where the fire started admitted that Diyas in observance of Diwali were lit at the time of the fire, they are claiming that the items were placed the front of the yard and not the house and that they were ten in number. A faulty meter which was reportedly sparking for a few days is said to be the blame for the fire. It is unclear if the faulty meter was ever reported to the Guyana Power and Light Inc.

Some of the persons who gathered at the scene

On the Scene Sunday night, occupant Djiewesh Persaud explained that the family were on the main road at another relative lighting Dias. He explained that he was pushing his grandmother in a wheelchair into the yard when she captured the attention of persons in the area with her screams of โ€˜fire, fireโ€™.

According to him, the fire started in the back apartment of the multiple compartment structure which is located on the property. He rushed to remove a gas bottle out of the house in a hope of saving the entire building but that proved futile as the fire quickly spread.

The young man said that the damage is estimated to be in the millions as he related that it was only recently that one of the apartments were finished.

โ€œMe and she sit down gaffing and while we gaffing I say aunty Pauline hear something going pow, pow, pow so me ainโ€™t really checking but when I go at the back I see she whole house in sheer smoke but the fire start from the meter, the meter sparking, sparking if my nephew did not come I would ah get roast up in the houseโ€ Omadai Persaud 60 explained.

The property is controlled by the two elder pensioners who are sisters while the other two claimed that they have known the place since they were little girls as it was there that the family was born and bred.

The women when asked where they would be spending the night related that they have already made arrangements with other relatives for Sundayโ€™ nightโ€™s boarding. Persons who would like to assist the family can contact them on telephone number 592 610 2272

Several persons converge on the scene and also assisted in trying to contain the blaze before the fore service arrived.

Comment here