Duo reportedly caught wrapping cocaine pellets released on $300,000 bail each

One month after two men who are no strangers to the courts were charged and remanded to prison for the offence of trafficking in narcotics, they were Friday granted $300,000 bail each. On March 4, 2022, 49-year-old Ron Reid and Nigel Dundas, 45, were charged at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Both men denied the charge which stated that on March 2, 2022, at West Ruimveldt, Georgetown, they had 1.084 kilogrammes of cocaine in their possession for the purpose of trafficking.

When their case came up again on Friday, Attorneys-at-Law Bernard DaSilva and Everton Singh-Lammy, who are representing Reid and Dundas respectively, asked Senior Magistrate Leron Daly to admit their clients to reasonable bail.

In the end, Magistrate Daly instructed the men to post $300,000 bail each. While out on bail, they are required to report to the Customs Anti Narcotic Unit (CANU) Headquarters every Monday until the hearing and determination of their trial.

They were both instructed to make their next court appearance on May 20, 2022.

The prosecution’s case is that CANU ranks conducted a search operation at a residence in West Ruimveldt “Front Road”, Georgetown where Reid and Dundas were caught wrapping pellets of suspected cocaine.

They were both arrested and escorted to CANU’s Headquarters with the suspected narcotics, which tested positive for cocaine. The 100-plus pellets amounted to 1.084 kilogrammes and have a street value of approximately $1.2 million.

CANU noted that the illicit drug would carry a much higher price overseas. The court also heard that in 2015, Reid along with his common-law wife was arrested and charged after they were allegedly found with 70 grammes of cocaine.

It is unclear what was the outcome of the matter.

And then in 2017, Reid’s associate Julius Watkins was intercepted at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) with 114 cocaine pellets that he had ingested. Watkins subsequently pleaded guilty and was sentenced to four years in prison.