Community ReportCrimeEditorialFeaturesLettersNews

MISSING ACCIDENT VICTIM: Car owner re-arrested as Major Crimes join probe

By Michael Jordan

The owner of the Toyota Fielder Wagon that struck down Reonol Williams 15 days ago is back in custody and  ranks from Major Crimes Investigation Unit of the Criminal Investigation Department are now involved in the probe to locate the missing accident victim.

BIG Smith News Watch was told that the 53-year-old DJ from Ann’s Grove, East Coast Demerara was re-arrested on Monday.

He had been released on GYD $300,000 station bail and was said to be assisting investigators in locating a cousin whom he said may have struck down Williams after taking his car, PAB 2552, without permission.

But he failed to locate the ‘distant cousin’, known as ‘Boy’, who has reportedly been making efforts to head to the interior.

The new developments came shortly after Police Commissioner Clifton Hicken met with the missing man’s sister, Silvie Williams.

In the meeting, held Monday, the Top Cop updated Ms. Williams on the investigation, while reassuring her of the Force’s commitment to solving the case.

Police are likely to intensify their search for Williams’ body today. They are also stepping up efforts to locate the individuals who may assist in the investigation.  

They include a woman who eyewitnesses said assisted the driver in placing the unconscious Williams into the car that struck him.

The driver had indicated that he was taking the victim to a hospital.

In three separate interviews last week, the DJ had insisted that he was at an interior location when the accident occurred. His car was allegedly left in his yard.

He showed this publication photographs that he said proved that he was out of the jurisdiction when Williams was struck down.

His vehicle, meanwhile, was reportedly parked at his house.

The car owner alleged that he learnt that ‘Boy’ had visited his home, and later learnt that his car was missing. He had attempted to reach ‘Boy’ by telephone, but the cousin’s phone appeared to have been turned off.

But an eyewitness had told BIG Smith News Watch he positively identified the car owner out of seven other individuals in a police lineup.

Photographs at the scene of the accident show Williams lying on the ground next to the owner’s vehicle.